PAST



Historical Site

         Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University is located at 1 U-Thong Nok Road, Dusit District, Bangkok 10300 Thailand. Tel +662-160-1111

         The University campus has an historic origin, once being part of Dusit Palace which was the Royal Compound of King Rama V. Previously it had served as a Royal Garden and the residential compound for visiting allies. It was named Suan Sunandha

Educational Metamorphosis
         During the reign of King Rama VI, it contained thirty-two residential sites for King Rama V’s Royal family and entourage. Princess Suthasineenat, who was one of King Rama V’s consorts, resided at the Sai Sutha Nopadol Mansion in 1924. The mansion is still one of the six present existing mansions in excellent condition.
         Princess Suthasineenat had ladies in waiting at court, so she commissioned the construction of Nipakarn School so they could learn both etiquette and handicrafts.
         During the reign of King Rama VII, His Majesty’s representatives allotted Suan Sunandha as the residence for the Prime Minister, members of the Cabinet, and members of the Parliament. Through deliberation, the cabinet decided to use the site for educational purposes, and passed a
resolution create a school for girls. Suan Sunandha School was created on May 17, 1937. Over the years, Suan Sunandha has developed and expanded to cover various fields in education. Since her inception, she has developed through the following stages:
         1937 - The School provided academic programs in both non-vocational and vocational education. Non-vocational education included both Elementary and Secondary levels with the Secondary School admitting transferees from Petchburee Widhyalonggorn Teachers Training School, Benjamarachalai School, Satreewidhya School, and secretarial students from Satreechotivej School. A coeducational system was only provided for Grades 1-4 at the Elementary level.
         The vocational education program admitted female transferees from the primary teachers training program at Petchaburee Widhyalonggorn Teachers Training School and provided a one year program for 12 students to enroll in a teacher’s primary education curriculum. Both private and scholarship students were funded by the Ministry of Education.
         1938 - Suan Sunandha abolished Grade 12 and divided the curriculum into 3 programs: primary, secondary, and teachers training.
         1939 - Grades 11-12 were abolished, but Grades 5-10 were maintained. A three year Baccalaureate program in Teaching Primary Education was offered to qualified individuals completing Grade 10. Admitted students, both private and under scholarship received funding from the Ministry of Education for their boarding.
         1940 - The Primary Education program offered Kindergarten and was transferred to La-or-u-tith School in the following year.
         1943 - The Quota of scholarship students from the provinces increased. Each province selected two students to stay in the boarding school at Suan Sunandha.
         1947 - Scholarship was offered to students from both the Bangkok Metropolis and the provinces.
         1948 - Primary Students from La-or-u-tith School were transferred to Suan Sunandha.
         1952 – Curriculums such as handicrafts, woodwork, printing, electricity, clothing, and the like were offered to those in the primary education course.
         1953 - A two year Baccalaureate program of Primary Education was provided to qualified students who completed a training program for teaching primary education.
         1955 - A two year program providing a Certificate of Education replaced the teaching primary and teaching secondary education curriculums
A requirement for admission was a completion of Grade 10 and it was in this year that the subjects were given credit units.
         1957 - The Certificate of Education was expanded to include evening classes because of the increased enrollment in Grade 12. It was the first time Suan Sunandha admitted male students for the teachers training program. A dormitory shortage caused some students to find boarding homes outside the campus.
         1958 – The Certificate of Higher Education was opened to students who had completed the Certificate of Education. The Ministry of Education raised the status of Suan Sunandha College to Suan Sunandha Teachers College and opened three educational levels: Higher Education, Secondary Demonstration School, and Elementary Demonstration School.
         1987 - The Teacher Education Council revised all Curricula for Teachers Colleges. At present, Suan Sunandha follows a new curriculum to provide academic Programs in various fields.
         1991 - The Teacher Education Council approved the new programs in Business English and Food Science & Technology. Suan Sunandha admitted all qualified individuals into both programs.
         1992 - His majesty the King graciously conferred the title Rajabhat Institute to the Teachers College.
         2004 - Suan Sunandha Rajabhat Institute became a University through a University Act signed by His Royal Highness King Rama IX on June 15, 2004.